There are several reasons why siding replacement is crucial for your home. For one, it’ll improve the appearance, of course. Pulling into your driveway and seeing a brand new, beautiful siding on your house is a benefit for you and your neighbors and an investment in the value of the house itself. Additionally, you’ll benefit from a more efficient home, as adding brand new siding helps prevent your home from losing warmth in the winter and seeping heat during the summer. Needless to say, new replacement siding is a benefit for your family and your wallet!
Whether you’re still on the fence or are ready to start your home’s siding replacement, we can help. Here are the top 5 things to think about when replacing your home’s siding.
1. Choosing a Top-Quality Siding Material
There are several materials to choose from when deciding what to replace your siding with. Selecting a siding replacement material is not just about looks, though. While the aesthetic is important, several other factors–like siding replacement cost, local climate, and neighborhood value–go into account. Some of the most common materials used for siding replacement are as follows:
- Vinyl –Vinyl siding is a durable choice made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resin. It is usually designed and styled to look like natural wood siding, which is an appealing choice for many homeowners. When it comes to siding replacements, vinyl siding is the most popular option for many homeowners due to the fact that it’s highly durable, affordable, and versatile.
- Fiber cement –Fiber cement is another popular option made from Portland cement, sand, water, and cellulose fibers. This is an option that actually lessens allergens in the home, but it is slightly pricier than others – simply because it requires more manpower to deliver and install.
- Stone Veneer –Stone veneer provides the longest lasting siding material with an average lifespan of 20-75 years. In addition to being an excellent long-term investment, it is a visually-appealing choice, appearing as a natural stone. Additionally, stone veneer is more fire-resistant than most sidings. However, stone veneer is also the most expensive siding material.
- Cedar –Cedar siding is an affordable and attractive choice. If you choose cedar for your house siding, you have the option of having it applied either horizontally or shingle-style. Arguably, the only negative with cedar is it can become quickly worn over time and may require some more cleaning and maintenance than some of the other options.
Regardless of which material you prefer, consulting with your contractor is crucial during this step of the siding replacement process. Learn more about the top-quality siding replacement products we use here.
2. The Color of Your Siding
When replacing your home’s siding, another vital thing to think about is the color you choose. New siding on a home can completely transform the appearance–in turn increasing its appeal to future buyers and to your neighborhood. Be sure to consider how the new house siding color works with the rest of your neighborhood’s and home’s appearance, like your shutters, doors, roof, or outside decorations.
The color you choose for your house’s siding can also be affected depending on the climate you live in. For instance, if you live in a hot and sunny area, you may want to choose a lighter color to reflect the sun rather than absorb it; this will make a huge difference in your heating and air conditioning bills, as the temperature of the exterior of your home impacts the interior more than you might think.
Pro Tip: Check with your local HOA to ensure you follow all local regulations!
3. Hiring the Right Company for the Job
We get it–it’s tempting to want to decrease your siding replacement cost by tackling a DIY project rather than hiring a professional. While we understand it may seem like an easy enough project, siding replacement is a project for licensed professionals and is too risky a project for those without experience. If a siding replacement is not installed properly, it could cost the homeowner a lot more money in the long run.
Choosing a company you trust to do the job right and provide top-notch materials, a lifetime warranty, and stellar customer service the whole way is crucial (and trust us when we say it will save you the headache).
Aspen Home Improvements is a trusted siding installation contractor licensed, bonded, and fully insured to install siding in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and West Virginia. We offer the best siding replacement services in the industry and have been doing so for over 30 years. Our goal is to provide you with the best experience for your siding repair or replacement.
Learn more about our siding replacement services, products, and free estimates here.
4. The Best Time of Year for Siding Replacement
Believe it or not, you need to consider the best time of year for your house’s siding replacement. Not all seasons are ideal, depending on the materials you choose. Certain materials shouldn’t be installed in extreme temperatures, so most people tend to lean towards the spring and fall seasons for this project. Installing siding in cold temperatures lower than 40 degrees increases chances for cracking and buckling. Conversely, on the other hand, installing siding in high heat can cause the material to expand and stretch which can also cause buckling. No worries, though–your contractor will help you decide the most ideal time to set you up for success.
5. The Investment You’re Making in Your Home
Last–but not least–think about the investment you’re making in your home when getting a siding replacement. While the siding replacement cost will vary depending on the size of your house, the materials you choose, and more, the money you put in will always be an investment. On average, siding replacement actually recoups over 90% of its cost when it’s time to sell.
Investing in a siding replacement will absolutely increase the value of your home, and you’ll thank yourself later.
Overall, investing in a siding replacement for your home will take you one step closer to your dream home, and the process should be exciting. Our objective at Aspen Home Improvements is to help make your dream home a reality, and we cannot wait to work with you. Contact us today.